Solimar International Corporation Armenian Branch
TITLE: Senior Tourism Specialist for My Armenia Program
START DATE/ TIME: February 2018
LOCATION: Yerevan, Armenia
JOB DESCRIPTION: The overall responsibility of the Senior Tourism Specialist is to manage tourism related activities and staff for the My Armenia program. This includes overseeing tourism planning, product development and training, business development/ training and marketing/ market access for the tourism products and destination that My Armenia works with.
The Senior Tourism Specialist will be responsible for achieving positive impacts for tourism products and destinations, including increased visitation, revenues and awareness of the products and destinations that My Armenia works with. Under the guidance and as assigned by the My Armenia Chief of Party, he/ she will also be responsible to further national level relationships and activities with key tourism partners in the government, private sector and civil society.
- Manage the respective technical staff of the My Armenia program in their daily activities as they relate to supporting My Armenia tourism related program objectives, this includes the tourism product development specialist and tourism marketing specialist, as well as consultants and other staff members that work on tourism product and marketing related activities;
- Conduct tourism planning at the program wide level as well as with individual staff members (activity planning) under their supervision, to move My Armenia program activities forward;
- Work with the My Armenia research team and staff to guide and identify potential tourism opportunities that will come out of ethnographic, historical, natural and other research being conducted in the regions;
- Work with the My Armenia Product Development Specialist and other team members to identify, conceptualize and develop tourism products in target regions and destinations;
- Collaborate with tour operators and other tourism stakeholders in providing inputs on potential tourism products as well as build relationships with these businesses to facilitate sales between My Armenia tourism products and tour operators;
- Oversee business planning, management and operations training and guide training for tourism products (specific trainings conducted by other specialists);
- Work with the My Armenia Marketing Specialist to develop marketing materials for tourism products as well as destinations;
- Work with the My Armenia Marketing Specialist to package and promote tourism products and destinations to Armenian tour operators and domestic travel markets;
- Work with team members to develop and implement marketing and market access programs to promote My Armenia supported products and destinations;
- Where applicable identify needs for specialty trainings or other technical services for My Armenia supported products;
- Work with team members to test and refine the tourism products when they are ready for visitors;
- Plan and coordinate impact monitoring efforts with My Armenia Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist;
- Maintain open and effective communication with project team in Yerevan and Washington, D.C.;
- Ensure close collaboration with other team members working on other aspects of the My Armenia Program;
- Responsible for detailed annual and short-term work-plan development as well as activity planning to guide implementation efforts;
- Regularly report on progress, activities and results of activities;
- Perform other duties as needed and assigned by My Armenia Chief of Party.
- At least 10 years of experience in the tourism sector working on tourism product development, tour development, tour management or tourism marketing;
- At least 5 years of experience in a management or supervisory role (overseeing a team of staff);
- Experience working for, and strong relations with, tour operators in Armenia (for Armenian applicants) and international tour operators (for international applicants, as well as a plus for Armenian applicants);
- Experience with the promotion of tourism sites, activities or tours;
- Experience working with cultural heritage tourism related businesses;
- Experience with business planning, management and operations of tourism businesses is a plus;
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree in Tourism, Business, or a social science related to the tourism industry;
- Ability to work independently with only periodic guidance to achieve assigned responsibilities based on work-plans;
- Excellent written and verbal English and Armenian (for Armenian applicants) language skills; knowledge of additional languages is a plus;
- Strong, demonstrated project and staff management skills and experience working with diverse team members in the office and in remote locations;
- Ability to travel for 20-30% of the time in rural areas of Armenia to conduct product development work;
- Ability to locate to Yerevan, Armenia if not currently living in Yerevan.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: All interested candidates can apply by sending their CVs to: SmithsonianHR@gmail.com .
Please clearly mention in your application letter that you learned of this job opportunity through Career Center and mention the URL of its website - www.careercenter.am, Thanks.
OPENING DATE: 28 December 2017
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 15 January 2018
ABOUT: My Armenia, a joint partnership between USAID, the Smithsonian Institution, and the people of Armenia, harnesses the power of research, documentation, and storytelling to strengthen cultural sustainability through community-based tourism development. As outlined by USAID/ Armenia and the Smithsonian Institution, the primary goals of this 5-year program are to build cultural heritage tourism in Armenia so as to increase the number of tourist visits, increase spending and days stayed per tourist with an emphasis outside of the capital, and create new job opportunities for Armenians.
This announcement has been retrieved 851 times.
To place a free posting for job or other career-related opportunities available in your organization, just go to the www.careercenter.am website and follow the "Post an Announcement" link.