UNDP Armenia Office
TITLE: UNDP Democratic Governance Programme Policy Adviser
OPEN TO/ ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA: Individual Consultants
LOCATION: Yerevan, Armenia
JOB DESCRIPTION: UNDP Armenia is looking for a highly qualified professional in the governance sector to support development of partnership strategy and a pipeline of projects. He/ she will act as an advisor to Senior Management and DG Portfolio on all aspects of CO programme in the governance sector, including the areas of public administration, participation and democratic representation, access to justice, transparency and anti-corruption, citizen security, decentralization, among other. The Policy Advisor will support the UNDP Country Office and DG Portfolio in planning, establishment of strategic partnership and identification of new creative responses to emerging development challenges and opportunities while ensuring full consistency with the priorities of UNDP Country Office. The candidate will contribute towards positioning UNDP as a credible and trusted development partner to the Government, civil society and the private sector. He/ she will work in close collaboration with UNDP programme, government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral partners, the private sector and civil society.
Assignment Objective/ Summary of Key Functions:
The Policy Advisor will work under direct supervision of DG Portfolio Analyst and will support planning, formulation and implementation of a partnership strategy for governance sector. He/she will design a partnership strategy, respective implementation plan and pipeline of project concepts responsive to UNDP Armenia strategic vision and direction with an objective to build sustainable and diversified support for the activities of UNDP program in the governance sector for the next 3-5 years. The candidate will also support establishment/ maintenance of strategic partnerships in the governance sector.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES: To support establishment/ maintenance of strategic partnerships and achievement of deliverables under the DG portfolio, the Policy Advisor will perform the following duties:
- Support design and formulation of CO programme within the assigned area of responsibility, translating UNDP priorities in governance into sector-based interventions;
- Review documents and consult with UNDP to better understand and shape the vision, mission and focus areas of the UNDP's future assistance in Armenia aligned to UNDP's Global Strategic Plan;
- Conduct a comprehensive analysis of potential global and local partners to map the feasibility of securing multi-year and thematic funding. Map donors' strategic areas of interest, funds available, funding windows, requirements and guidelines and interest in funding key result areas;
- Recommend how to develop and maintain strategic partnerships and engage with key partners (past, present and future);
- Along these lines, also explore opportunities for partnership with emerging donors, foundations and private sector;
- Support DG Portfolio and CO in strengthening and coordination of partnerships with the UN Agencies, IFIs, public institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, vertical and multilateral funds, private sector, civil society, etc.;
- Determine programmatic areas of cooperation, based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donors' priorities;
- Prepare substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identify opportunities for cost-sharing;
- Ensure development of project concepts and proposals in the areas of governance, including public administration, access to justice, participation and democratic representation, transparency and anti-corruption, citizen security, decentralization;
- Provide CO staff with guidance pertaining to UNDP Corporate Resource Mobilization strategies and requirements;
- Identify opportunities for joint programming;
- Support analysis and presentation of UNDP policies, programme, projects and their implementation to partners; within the limit of responsibilities lead and actively engage in thematic UN agencies/ donor coordination groups;
- Provide substantive inputs in the activities of steering committees, multi-stakeholder commissions, expert groups or other coordinating bodies in related practice areas;
- Contribute to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Expected Outputs, Deliverables and Timeframe:
- Output-1: partnership mapping ( 01 February 2018 - 15 March 2018):
Scan of current and potential partnership landscape for UNDP Armenia conducted, including traditional bilateral and multilateral donors, new/emerging donors, private sector, foundations, CSOs, etc., with thematic areas, funding windows, conditions, and indicative amounts listed.
- Output-2: draft strategy and implementation plan ( 15 March 2018 - end April 2018):
Draft strategy on partnership and related time-bound implementation plan developed and presented to UNDP senior management and programme staff for review and discussion.
- Output-3: finalized strategy and implementation plan:
Finalized strategy on partnership with implementation plan presented (15 May 2018).
- Output-4: agreed number of project concepts and consolidated final briefing (throughout the assignment):
Project concepts in identified areas of intervention developed.
- Master's degree or equivalent in Political Science, Social Sciences, Law or Development Studies.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in development sector, preferably in fundraising or partnership building and/ or providing management advisory services;
- Hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects in governance or a closely related field;
- At least 3 years of experience in providing policy advice in the area of governance;
- Experience in establishing inter-relationships among international organization and national governments;
- Working experience with UN /UNDP and IFIs is a strong asset;
- Experience with UN system of operations and donor assistance is an asset;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Fluency in English and Armenian languages; knowledge of Russian language is an asset.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Application procedures are available at: https://jobs.undp.org/cj_view_job.cfm?cur_job_id=76967 .
Please clearly mention in your application letter that you learned of this job opportunity through Career Center and mention the URL of its website - www.careercenter.am, Thanks.
OPENING DATE: 31 January 2018
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 12 February 2018
This announcement has been retrieved 1944 times.
To place a free posting for job or other career-related opportunities available in your organization, just go to the www.careercenter.am website and follow the "Post an Announcement" link.