Full-time or part-time (to be determined by IFES Country Director)
The International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES) is implementing a seven-year award under funding provided by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) in Armenia titled "Strengthening Elections and Political Processes in Armenia (SEPPA)". Through this award IFES provides targeted assistance to support election processes, professional election management bodies and election laws/ procedures, civic engagement and participation, judicial reform and accountability, voter education, and equal rights/ empowerment for women, youth and persons with disabilities. IFES is seeking experienced and motivated professionals in its Yerevan-based office to implement program assistance activities by providing legal, programmatic and management support to Armenian counterparts.
IFES is seeking a Legal Consultant to support the Electoral Reform agenda set by the Ministry of Justice (MoJ), including drafting amendments to the electoral legislation. The Legal Consultant position has the following duties and responsibilities:
Primary Function/ Purpose: The Legal Consultant will provide legal advisory services to the IFES Country Director on the electoral framework, specifically drafting new provisions to the Electoral Code and related legislation, based on recommendations from electoral stakeholders, including the Ministry of Justice, Central Electoral Commission, Civil Society Organizations and Political Parties.
Major Duties and Responsibilities: The Legal Consultant will be accountable for providing legal advice that includes, but not limited to, all the aspects of the analysis, investigation and drafting process as listed below:
- Provide legal advice on amending the electoral framework;
- Review all associated legislation, including but not limited to the Constitution, Criminal Code, Law on administrative procedures, etc.;
- Participate in online and in-person meetings facilitated by IFES team on electoral reform;
- Prepare briefs and other documents summarizing the discussions and recommendations proposed by electoral stakeholders;
- Compile recommendations from stakeholders to amend the electoral legal framework;
- Draft amendments to the electoral code and relevant pieces of legislation (main deliverable);
- Assist in researching various electoral topics, compiling and analyzing international best practices, referencing international and domestic observer reports;
- Assist with the preparation of presentations and/ or other relevant materials for public discussions on electoral matters;
- Report regularly on activities to IFES Country Director;
- Perform other duties, as assigned by IFES Country and/ or Senior Elections Specialist.
- At least a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in Law; master's degree in a Law-related field is preferable;
- Excellent analytical and legal drafting skills, including proven experience in legal drafting;
- Experience working with a law firm, a government institution and/ or international organizations would be an asset;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Excellent team player with the ability to prioritize work;
- Proficiency in Word, PowerPoint, and Excel;
- Excellent written and spoken skills in Armenian and English languages; other language including Russian would be an asset;
- Ability to travel within Armenia if necessary.
SKILLS and SPECIFICATIONS:
- Ability to remains highly organized while handling multiple tasks under tight deadlines;
- Ability to completes tasks with limited supervision;
- Excellent knowledge of the electoral framework and other related legislation;
- Excellent reporting and document handling skills;
- Understanding of donor rules and regulations regarding reporting and compliance;
- Excellent communication skills in order to be able to work with IFES program and administrative staff to identify and resolve issues;
- Willingness to adhere to all principles of confidentiality;
- Must value operating in a collaborative and cooperative environment;
- Initiative, good judgment, and resourcefulness;
- Ability to handle sensitive issues and address inclusion matters with integrity;
- Adherence to IFES rules on prohibition of all forms of harassment, including sexual harassment.
Interested candidates should send their CV and a cover letter outlining competencies in English to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Please indicate the position title ("Legal Consultant") in the subject line of the e-mail. Only short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
Please clearly mention in your application letter that you learned of this job opportunity through Career Center and mention the URL of its website - www.careercenter.am, Thanks.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT: Standard office work environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. The professional working in this field should be flexible and ready to work as per the work demands. He/ she may need to work outside the routine working hours in order to meet the deadlines of the assigned work.