The EU4Sevan project is in a search of a highly motivated and detailed-oriented Intern to support advisory services in the sustainable land-use component. The prospective intern will be acquainted with different land-use issues and general ecological status in Lake Sevan watershed basin. He/she will support land-use advisor with specific assignments on assessing and documenting of different successful afforestation, re-forestation and agro-forestry cases from Armenia, as well as on regional and global levels.
The prospective Intern will be involved in all aspects of sustainable land-use component agro-forestry activities, visit the project area, investigate former afforestation and agro-forestry efforts, as well as prepare general suggestions to the project possible interventions. The Intern will collect and process literature and ground-based data on regional natural-climatic conditions for the growth of different types of natural and artificial forest stands. He/she also will be acquainted with current agricultural practices in the region, particularly challenges in cultivation of fruit trees and berries conditioned by favorable climate change conditions. The internship is an opportunity for the young forester to learn the efficiency of integration of forestry and agricultural ecosystems. The internship can be combined with a bachelor or masters thesis.
Assist the relevant Project Advisor with:
- Observation and documentation of natural-climatic conditions of Gegharkunik region;
- Along with the Project Adviser develop criteria for the site selection for agroforestry plantation;
- Site selection checking with GPS -receiver and mapping with the support of GIS specialist;
- Site detail observation, including landscape, soil, water resources and vegetation, as well as social-economic conditions, infrastructure availability;
- Development of planting scheme and species mixing plan;
- Development of a maintenance plan;
- Potential costs and benefits calculation for the plantation.
- Background in Forestry (ideally last year B.Sc. student);
- Ability to travel periodically to Gegharkunik region;
- Readiness to implement field work combined with desk studies;
- Ability to use geo-navigation systems;
- Strong communication skills and a willingness to learn;
- Ability to manage diverse activities and to meet deadlines required;
- Flexibility to changing situations and priorities is desired;
- A high-level computer literacy.
Interested candidates should send a brief motivation letter, a complete CV highlighting relevant experience and education, copies of all relevant educational reports and employers' references (if available) to: HR-GIZ-Armenia@giz.de
indicating the vacancy title in the subject line. If the automatic response "Thank you for your email. It has been received by the GIZ Office Armenia" is not received by email, the documents should be sent to: GIZ Country Office, Reception, 59, Hanrapetutyan Str., Yerevan. GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disabilities. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Please clearly mention in your application letter that you learned of this job opportunity through Career Center and mention the URL of its website - www.careercenter.am, Thanks.
68.000 AMD (Net)
Position and duration subject to EU mandate.
The "South Caucasus Environmental Programme" aims to improve the management of natural resources and the conservation of ecosystem services for sustainable development in rural areas. The EU-funded component in Armenia focuses on the protection of Lake Sevan, the largest freshwater lake in the Caucasus, and is implemented jointly with UNDP Armenia under a Multi Partner Contribution Agreement. The project is based on the approach of integrated water resources management and creates scalable solutions at local level as well as better conditions for major infrastructure investments in the future. The government partner for the EU project in Armenia is the Ministry of Environment and subordinated bodies.