Deutsche Gesellschaft fuer Internationale Zusammenarbeit GIZ GmbH
TITLE: National Consultant for Implementing a Feasibility Study for Payment for Ecosystem Services Scheme (PES) in Armenia
OPEN TO/ ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA: Local individual consultants
DURATION: 01 November 2018 - 15 April 2019
LOCATION: Yerevan, Armenia
JOB DESCRIPTION: The GIZ "Integrated Biodiversity Management, South Caucasus" (IBiS) Programme is currently looking for a National Consultant to implement a feasibility study for payment of ecosystem services scheme (PES) in Armenia in close cooperation with the International Consultant. The detailed Terms of Reference for the assignment can be downloaded below.
- Responsible for initial brief screening (including exploratory interviews if necessary) of nationally relevant literature for potential PES pilot measures (with a focus on water and other ecosystem services) guided by the study implemented in 2017 on "Ecosystem Services in Armenia: Overview of different activities on ecosystem services implemented by the Government of Armenia and different organizations in the period of 2011-2017" by N. Shahnazaryan and A. Hovhannisyan;
- Contribute to organization as well as co-facilitation (and documentation) of the kick-off workshop in Armenia, which will include some training elements; validate and fine-tune the concept note and selection of pilot areas; organize, co-facilitate and document workshops/ training in Yerevan and in pilot regions;
- Contribute to the establishment of and continuously liaising with the Ministerial working group;
- Development of a draft feasibility study: conduct in-depth analysis of literature and data, visit pilot sites for interviews with potential PES partners and other stakeholders and experts;
- Contribute to organisation, co-facilitation and documentation of workshops in two pilot areas aimed at the development of an implementation roadmap with different stakeholders;
- Contribute to organisation, co-facilitation, and development of a national validation workshop in Yerevan with a larger stakeholder group;
- Based on final feedback on the draft report by the International Consultant, finalize the report including a proposal and 2 roadmaps (i.e., the final PES proposal).
During the period of implementation of work, the Ministry of Nature Protection will assist the National Consultant in the following:
- Collection of necessary documents and provision of information;
- Organization of discussions with the stakeholders;
- Processes related to prevention of potential obstacles.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in the area(s) of Environmental Protection, Management of Bioresources or Environmental Economics;
- 5-8 years of work experience in the area of environmental protection (preferably in international organizations) during the last 15 years;
- Profound knowledge of the environment of Armenia and relevant academic literature (including issues related to the water sector);
- Sound understanding of the PES concept and its practical application;
- Sound understanding of the legislative and administrative context in Armenia at national and sub-national level;
- Proven experience in applying qualitative research methods including expert interviews, focus groups and/ or stakeholder consultations;
- Proven communication and organizational skills;
- Proven capacity in clear and succinct reporting;
- Fluency in English and Armenian languages.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Your offer, comprising the technical offer (CV, relevant experience and letter of interest, implementation of assignment according to your understanding) and the price offer (daily honorarium in AMD), must be submitted as a package containing of two envelopes. The price offer must always be separate from the technical offer and placed in a separate envelope. The envelopes containing the offers must be labelled (name, contact information and the name of the programme applied for should be mentioned). The closed package must be stamped or signed at the place you close it and submitted to: Deutsche Gesellschaft fuer Internationale Zusammenarbeit GIZ GmbH, Country Office, 4/1 Baghramyan Ave., 0019 Yerevan, Reception.
Your offer will be considered as invalid, if:
- The price offer and the technical offer are placed in the same envelope;
- The offer is sent via email;
- The offer is not addressed to the reception of the GIZ country office.
The technical offers will be evaluated based on the evaluation grid which can be downloaded below.
Please clearly mention in your application letter that you learned of this job opportunity through Career Center and mention the URL of its website - www.careercenter.am, Thanks.
OPENING DATE: 10 October 2018
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 26 October 2018, 16:30
ABOUT COMPANY: For the information about the GIZ, please visit: www.giz.de.
ABOUT: The "Integrated Biodiversity Management in the South Caucasus" (IBiS) Programme is a regional technical cooperation programme supported by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH on behalf of the German Federal Government. The biodiversity of the South Caucasus is of global importance, but the huge variety of species and the proper functioning of the ecosystems are under threat. In each of the three countries of the South Caucasus – Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan – there are National Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plans (NBSAPs) and initial sectoral strategies for managing biodiversity and ecosystem services. As yet these are unable to withstand the challenges posed by the overlapping interests of different sectors (forestry, pasture farming, agriculture, nature conservation and tourism). There is a lack of coordination between the various state and non-state actors and population groups. In addition, there is not enough reliable data available to support planning and decision-making processes. The objective of the regional IBiS Programme is to promote better coordination of biodiversity and ecosystem services management across sectors (sector networking) on the basis of solid data. Here, the role of organizational development and process management is becoming increasingly important in order to support the work of partner institutions by the GIZ team. The Programme is working in four areas of activity: supporting pilot measures and coordination processes at local level, strengthening capacity and building public awareness at national level, and promoting the sharing of expertise at supranational level. The Programme is due to last four years (from December 2015 to November 2019).
This announcement has been retrieved 605 times.
To place a free posting for job or other career-related opportunities available in your organization, just go to the www.careercenter.am website and follow the "Post an Announcement" link.